Beginning Android 2 [Paperback]
The Android development platform, created by Google and the Open Handset Alliance, is a platform in its truest sense, encompassing hundreds of classes beyond the traditional Java classes and open source components that ship with the SDK.
With Beginning Android 2, you’ll learn how to develop applications for Android 2.x mobile devices, using simple examples that are ready to run with your copy of the SDK. Author, Android columnist, writer, developer, and community advocate Mark L. Murphy will show you what you need to know to get started programming Android applications, including how to craft GUIs, use GPS, and access web services.
What you’ll learn
- Discover Android and how to use it to build Java-based mobile applications for a wide range of phones and other devices.
- Create user interfaces using both the Android widget framework and the built-in WebKit-powered Web browser components.
- Utilize the distinctive capabilities of the Android engine, including location tracking, maps, and Internet access.
- Use and create Android applications incorporating activities, services, content providers, and broadcast receivers.
- Support Android 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0 devices, including dealing with multiple Android OS versions, multiple screen sizes, and other device-specific characteristics.
Who is this book for?
This book is aimed at people new to mobile development, perhaps even to Java development itself.
About the Author
Mark Murphy is the founder of CommonsWare and the author of The Busy Coder’s Guide to Android Development. A three-time entrepreneur, his experience ranges from consulting on open source and collaborative development for Fortune 500 companies to application development on just about anything smaller than a mainframe. He has been a software developer for over 25 years, working on platforms ranging from the TRS-80 to the latest crop of mobile devices. A polished speaker, Mark has delivered conference presentations and training sessions on a wide array of topics internationally.
[ Read More ]